Sunday, June 27, 2010

救命的幽默

It was customary with French marshal Bassompierre( 1579-1646), when any of his soldiers were brought before him for heinous offences, to say to them,"Brother, you or I will certainly be hanged." This was a sufficient declaration of their fate.

A spy, who was discovered in Bassompierre's camp, was addressed in this language. The next day, as he was about to be led to the gallows, he pressed earnestly to speak with the marshal.

When introduced, the marshal asked him what he had to say."Why, my lord," said the culprit,"when I first had the honour of your conversation, you were pleased to say that either you or I should be hanged. Now I am come to know whether it is your pleasure to be so, because, if you won't, I must. That's all." The marshal, pleased with the fellow's humour, ordered his release.

法國元帥巴松皮埃爾(一五七九年至一六四六年)手下將士假如犯了大罪,帶到他跟前,他習慣說一句話:「老兄,要問絞的不是你,就是我。」這等於宣判了他們的命運。

巴松皮埃爾對軍營中抓到的一個間諜,也說了同一句話。第二天,那間諜要上絞刑臺的時候,懇求和巴松皮埃爾談談。

他獲帶去見巴松皮埃爾。巴松皮埃爾問他要說什麼。那罪人回答:「啊,大人,我第一次有幸跟你交談時,你說要問絞的不是你,就是我。現在,我是來問你想不想受絞刑。假如你不想,我不想都不行。我要說的就是這麼多。」巴松皮埃爾愛他幽默,下令把他釋放。

(古德明)

No comments:

Post a Comment